Grosse Alte Geisterbahn was an early ghost train at Wiener Prater spanning 2 floors. The outside resembled a castle and it was largely made of wood.
''Grosse Alte Geisterbahn'' is German for ''Large Old Ghost Train''.
Originally this ride was known as Geisterbahn (although on the front also the name Geisterschloss appeared, not to be confused with the other Geisterschloss which opened in 1933). It opened in 1938.
In 1950 the Geisterbahn was expanded upon, but was still limited to plot 143. In 1954, it was expanded again to also cover plot 144. During the 1963 season, it received new signage and was renamed to Grosse Alte Geisterbahn.
In December of 1983, during the off-season, people broke into the ghost train to start a campfire. Because the ride was made mostly from wood, the fire quickly spread and the fire brigade was not able to save it. It completely burned down in no-time. A new ghost train, under the name Grosse Geisterbahn (dropping the 'Alte' from its title) opened in its place in April 1985 and is still operational today. It is mostly made from from stone and concrete to prevent the same thing from happening again.